Monday, October 13, 2008

Your favorite rapper's favorite rapper

I don't usually fuck with the VH1 Hip Hop Honors but I thought this feature on their website was cool: rappers discussing the impact other rappers had on them. For example, Big Boi on Too $hort:

My uncles were in the military so they used to get stuff from all around the world. I remember my uncles came back with Too $hort. They were my idols and I used to love what they were doing. Being in the military, they were still some street cats, too. My Uncle Trick and I just thought [Too $hort’s music] was the most fascinating thing ever, [raps] “Cuss words, just let ‘em flow, motherf*ck*n' sh*t b*tch god damn *ssh*l*.” It was the most filthiest mouth I ever heard. I was only like 10 years old, but I was like, “Okay, I’m f*ck*ng with him.” That’s what brought me and Dre [André 3000] together, our taste in music. We was and still are on Too $hort. We liked everything from Tribe to Leaders of the New School. [My favorite Too $hort album] gotta be that Life Is … Too $hort because it was the hardest one. That was the first one that I got introduced to. The beats and all the sh*t he was talkin’ about was for real from the whole Bay Area and how he came up. He was just so cool, like, “Damn, that’s a motherf*ck*r that I want a ride home from school with.” That’s an O.G. cat that’ll sit there and smoke a j with you and say some new sh*t.
Devin the Dude on Slick Rick
DJ Drama on De La Soul
Killer Mike on Cypress Hill
Joe Budden on Naughty By Nature

No comments: